Monday 24 March 2014

Blogger Q&A - Maryline VP

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
















Hey my lovelies

Hope you all had a fab weekend and a good start of the week today. It's time for this month's blogger Q&A.  The amazing Maryline from M's Bookshelf has agreed to answer my questions. Thank you SO much hun for answering all my questions, I know there were a lot ;) xxx
Hope you're going to enjoy this everyone, I can guarantee you: The answers are worth reading. 

Thank you so much Simona for having me on your blog today, I’m really honored!

1. Where were you born and where do you call home?

I was born in the same village I grew up in and where I still live with my parents: Melsele, Belgium. I still call it home, but for the last 2 and a half years I’ve been living in a student flat in Ghent during the week (I still go home almost every weekend), together with my wonderful boyfriend. So it’s a tie between Melsele and Ghent.

2. How long have you been blogging and why did you start doing it?

I started blogging in June 2012. I came across a book blog on Twitter (victorialovesbooks.wordpress.com) which gave me the idea to try my hand at reviewing. I was reading a lot anyway and often felt sad I didn’t have anyone to share my thoughts on those books with. I had some doubts because, obviously, English is not my native language, but after a few posts, I was hooked!

3. What is the name of the book you most recently blogged about?

I posted a review for „The Wolf of Wall Street“ by Jordan Belfort as a part of my reading challenge: movie books. I read the book, reviewed it, and then watched the movie and shared on my blog how I liked the movie, compared to the book.

4. What did you think about the cover?

I quite liked the cover. It’s bright yellow which makes it stand out, but the cover image is kept simple so it doesn’t become overwhelming.

5. If you could ask the Author 3 questions what would they be?

Mmm… now I wished I actually liked the book! Uhm.
(1)   I’d probably ask Jordan how his friends and family who are mentioned in the book reacted, weither he asked them permission or maybe even changed some facts on their request.
(2)   I’d ask him what inspired him to write the story, knowing how awful he’d come across,
(3)   and what his first reaction was to the book being made in a movie and how he liked Leonardo as himself.

6. What is you most favorite character and why?

This is a really tough one. It changes a lot, depending on the books I most recently read, but if I have to name just one, I think I’m going to have to go with my all-time favorite: Hermione Granger (Harry Potter series, ofc.). She’s smart, she’s loyal, she’s strong… I think she’s the perfect role model and no matter how many times I read the series and no matter how old I am while reading, she’s still an inspiration to me.

7. What genre is your favorite and why?

Mmm.. A year ago I would have answered „historical fiction“, without hesitation. I’ve always been fascinated by history and I think historical fiction is a wonderful way to emerge yourself in a different time: it brings those history books to life, which is great. I’m a bit obsessed with the Middle Ages and books written about that age… brilliant! Although I read chick-lit before, I only really started reading it thanks to the blog, and I just can’t get enough. It’s heartwarming, it’s real, it’s relaxing,… I’m hooked! So… chick-lit & the occasional historical fiction/crime novel.

8. If you were shipwrecked on a desert island what 3 books would you want with you?

So… no easy questions today eh? ;-) OK. So, first one, without a doubt, is Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. Second one is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I’ve only read it once, but I absolutely loved it. It’s a BIG book and I think being on a deserted island would be the perfect time to reread it! Third one… mmm.. guessing my eReader full of books doesn’t count as 1? ;-) Ok. I’ll take The Hunger Games with me then!

9. Is there an Author that you would really like to meet?

I’d really love to meet J.K. Rowling. Maybe that’s a cliché, but I probably wouldn’t be reading books in English if it wasn’t for her. I was so desperate for the last Harry Potter book to come out. Knowing it wouldn’t be out in Dutch for almost a year, I started reading the series again, now in English, so I wouldn’t have any trouble with the names of the characters once I got to the last one. I hardly read in Dutch since.
Thanks to book blogging there are a few authors I’ve talked a lot with via Twitter/email, so meeting them would be nice! Thinking of Katy Regnery, Faerl Marie, AJ Nuest, Karen-Anne Stewart, Tilly Tennant,... Those ladies are amazing and I love chatting with them! & reading their books, of course!

10. Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?

Paperbacks all the way <3 My eReader has been a loyal friend these last few months and has introduced some amazing books and authors to me (not that many authors/publishers have spare paperback copies lying around, ready for shipment to Belgium), but I still love the feel and the smell of a real book!

11. Where do you prefer to buy your books?

I love bookshops, but I really don’t mind buying my books online. It is fun, to walk around a bookstore with a list of books you’d want to buy if the story had them, but if I’m looking for a specific book, I usual order it online. The bookstore is more for browsing ;-) Other European bloggers will prob. understand this: even the most equipped bookstores don’t have every English book you’d want, so a lot of the time buying online is the easiest option.

12. Have you ever read a book more than once?

YES! I’ve read the Harry Potter books A LOT, first in English and then from the age of +/- 15 in English and I’m still rereading them often. I also read The Hunger Games series more than once… and the Twilight series. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory as well. It’s one of my absolute favorite novels.

13. What book are you currently reading?

I’m currently reading “The Guestbook” by Holly Martin!

14. What book are you about to start reading?

“Between a Rockstar and a Hard Place” by Portia MacIntosh!

15. Have you read a book that you would like to rewrite the ending of?

I’m hardly ever disappointed by the ending and I usually feel it’s the author’s decision where their characters end up. I’ve probably been frustrated over book endings, but can’t seem to think of any right now.

16. Do you have a favorite book cover? Chose up to 3 if you like.

I just walked over to my bookcase to take a look. I absolutely love the Jojo Moyes covers; my edition of The Perks of being a Wallflower is amazing too (it’s the one with the writing on what looks like a notepad).

17. If you could plan the perfect holiday, what would it be?

English countryside, lovely cottage, tea, biscuits, some sight-seeing and BOOKS! Lots and lots of books!

18. How often do you blog?

I normally only write review posts, so it depends on how much/ how fast I’m reading. I’d say at least 2 a week?

19. What’s your favorite color?

Mmm… Don’t really have a favorite color. It depends on the object, but I really like green (fresh, bright green that is) and “old” pink (like the flowers on my blog). Actually, those flowers are the best example of my preferred color scheme (at least at this moment it is).

20. What are 5 items you never leave home without?

Apart from the practical stuff like phone, key, wallet? I have a bracelet given to me by a very dear friend of mine and I wear it every day. Recently our lovely Simona here gave me a good luck stone and that hasn’t stayed home without me either since then ;-)

21.Favorite book character crush.  Yes you can pick 2 :)

I have to say Edward Cullen. I’m sorry, but when I read those books for the first time a few years ago… I was head over heels.
Can’t seem to think of any other book crushes that stayed with me until after I’ve finished the book..

22. Sleep in or get up early?

Get up early (unless on holiday or maybe a Sunday)

23. Summer or winter?

Winter!

24. White wine or red?

White!

25. Coffee or tea?

Tea!

26. Where can we find you?

My blog: http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.be
My facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MssBookshelf
My Goodreads page:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarylineVP
Mail: mssbookshelf@gmail.com


Thanks again Simona, this has been really lovely!! xxx


1 comment:

  1. Hey girls, LOVED reading your answers Mary..tho I don't like the fact you had a crush on Edward Cullen LOL Love you girls, you are my besties in the whole world and I'm not sure what would I do without you! LOVE YOU BOTH SO SO MUCH! XXXX

    ReplyDelete