Sunday 2 March 2014

The Accidental Life Of Jessie Jefferson - by Paige Toon


Original Cover
My own copy














The blurb:

The first YA fiction novel, from the bestselling adult author Paige Toon.
Meet Jessie, the daughter of Johnny Jefferson, as featured in Johnny Be Good and Baby Be Mine…

My fifteenth birthday was the worst day of my life, and it's inconceivable to think that any single day in my future will ever be as bad. My mum was killed in a freak accident on her way to pick up my cake. Even when there was still no sign of her after two hours later, and my friends started to arrive at our house, it never occurred to me that she wouldn't be coming back.
That was six months ago. My mum died without telling me who my real dad was. And for a while I hated her for it. I thought she's taken the secret of my father's identity with her forever. But she didn't. Holy hell, she didn't. Because three weeks ago I found out the truth. And I'm still reeling from the shock of it. My dad is none other than Johnny Jefferson, mega famous rock star and one-time serial womaniser. And now I'm on my way to LA to meet him and his family.

My tiny little world has just got a whole lot bigger…

My Opinion:

I was over the moon when this book arrived even two day before publication day. I was waiting for it since I finished Johnny's Girl and I sensed some real trouble there.

Well, first of all, this is Paige's first YA novel and I was so curious to find out whether the style was much different to her chick-lit books. This is the forth book in the Johnny Jefferson series, I recommed you to read the books in the following order: Johnny Be Good, Baby Be Mine, Johnny's Girl, The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson.

The three books before were written from Meg's perspective. Now Jessie Jefferson or I should say Jessie Pickerill comes into the picture. Jessie is Johnny's 15 year old daughter, Meg (his wife) is still processing the news.

Now, let's really start with Jessie. She sounded like real trouble and a wanna be rockstar at the end of Johnny's Girl. It turns out that this is only a fassade to hide her real feelings. Her mother died six months ago and Jessie misses her so badly. She has a new group of friends who are drinking and smoking and her old best friend Libby is still there, but they don't talk. It's bugging Jessie that she probably never finds out who her biologigal dad is. But then her stepdad Stu has news for her and her whole world comes crasing down. Johnny Jefferson is her dad!? This moment in the book was so great, Paige's writing really conveyed the feelings.

The news bring her back closer to Libby and then Jessie flies to LA to spend the week with Johnny, Meg and the boys. It's finally where we get to see the real Jessie and I got to like her. I was so curious for Johnny's and Jessie's first scene and I just say: well done Paige :)
They spend more and more time together and they get closer, it was awesome to see that develop and we also see Johnny from a different side, which is great. I adored the way they shared more and more about themselves with each other. Jessie and Meg had a rocky start, but I think deep down they really like each other and they have a lot in common. I was longing for Meg's POV in some scenes, can't wait to read about her feelings again as well.

When Jessie left the UK she had her eyes on a boy, his name was Tom, but then Jack came into the picture in a LA. I loved how Jessie was with him and their scenes brought a lot of fun and spark into this story.
I can't wait to read more about how her story with these guys develops.

The ending was great and it calls out for more!!! Much more :) Paige really surprised me with Jessie's personality and she's such a great character. Such an enjoyable read, I couldn't put the book down. As always such a pleasure to read Paige's books. 

Rating:






My possible cast:

Jessie

Johnny: Garret Hedlund














Meg: Alona Tal














Phoenix









Barney










Stu: Gary Oldman














Tom: Josh Hutcherson














Jack: Matt Dallas















Paige Toon on Twitter: @PaigeToonAuthor
Website: http://paigetoon.com

Can't wait for Thirteen Weddings now and of course Jessie's next adventures. Want to know more about Jessie? She answered me some questions here: http://skysbookcorner.blogspot.ch/2014/01/q-with-jessie-jefferson.html

1 comment: