Sunday 30 March 2014

The Brightest Star in the Sky - by Marian Keyes


Original Cover
My own copy
The blurb:

Welcome to 66 Star Street . . . In the top-floor flat lives music exec Katie. She spends her days fighting off has-been rock stars and wondering how much cheesecake you'd need to eat yourself to death. Below her, a pair of muscular Poles share with a streetwise cabbie named Lydia, who has a sharp tongue, an even sharper brain but some unexpected soft spots. On the first floor is Fionn - a gardener who prefers the company of parsnips to people. But he looks like a fairy-tale prince and when he's offered his own television show, he's suddenly thrust into the limelight. And at the bottom of the house live Matt and Maeve, who are Very Much In Love and who stave off despair by doing random acts of kindness. But a mysterious visitor has just landed at 66 Star Street, bringing love, friendship and heartbreak, and a new-found optimism. Old secrets are working their way to the surface and all their lives are about to change in the most unexpected of ways . . .

My Opinion:

A lovely and deep story about characters who live in the same house.

Well, to be honest: At first I didn’t understand this story and it was too much for me what all the changes between the characters. I got warm with Matt and Maeve first. Such an adorable couple and I sensed some unspoken thing in their story, so I really wanted to find out what it was.

Then there was Lydia, her story got more and more interesting, so I loved following her after a while.

With Fionn and Katie I didn’t get warm though. I found it really difficult to find a connection, the spark was just missing.

There was so much going on all the time. I loved drama and things happening, but it kind of was too much.

The story of Matt and Maeve took a shocking turn and I was literally crying and just hoping for everything to turn out okay.
That was one thing I really loved about this book, the emotional way Marian wrote it. The emotions really transferred and got me closer to the characters.
An other thing I loved was when all the charceters got together and interacted, they were neighbours after all.

The ending was very interesting and moving.
The idea of the book is amazing and it’s a pleasant change from other stories. The whole concept just was a little too much for me, with too many single stories going on at the beginning.

Rating:





After reading this book I didn't feel like putting together a cast. There very too many characters for me and not enough information about their appearance.

Marian on Twitter: @MarianKeyes
Website: http://www.mariankeyes.com/Home






No comments:

Post a Comment