Sunday 1 June 2014

About a Girl - by Lindsey Kelk


Original Cover
My own copy
 The blurb:

I’d lost my job. I’d lost the love of my life. My mum wasn’t talking to me. My best friend was epically pissed off. And my flatmate probably had a hit out on me by now. I never meant for things to get so out of hand…

Tess Brookes has always been a Girl with a Plan. But when her carefully constructed Plan goes belly up, she’s forced to reconsider.

After accidently answering her flatmate Vanessa’s phone, she decides that since being Tess isn’t going so well, why shouldn’t she try out being Vanessa? With nothing left to lose, she accepts Vanessa’s photography assignment to Hawaii – she used to be an amateur snapper, how hard can it be? Right?

But Tess is soon in big trouble – she isn’t a photographer, she isn’t Vanessa, and the gorgeous journalist on the shoot with her, who is making it very clear he’d like to get into her pants, is an egotistical monster.

Far from home and in someone else’s shoes, Tess must decide whether to fight on through, or ‘fess up and run…

My Opinion:

Tess’s life is turned upside down when she looses her job and on top of that she’s in love with her best friend Charlie. She has been for the last 10 years. And in a night where she’s frustrated, drunk and down, it happens. The next morning she confesses her feelings and he just says all the wrong things!!!

When she gets the opportunity to get away and be someone else, she takes it. She takes her flatmate Vanessa’s job and flies to Hawaii for a photo shoot, where she’s the photographer.

Hawaii is great!!! I loved reading about the islands and it sounds like an awesome place. The man who owns part  of the island and should be in the spotlight for the photos and interviews cancels all the time. There is Kekipi, who looks after everything in the cottages and also turns out to be a great friend to Tess. He was great, I love the scenes with him, it made the story even funnier and catchier.

Now, let’s talk about Nick: sexy, smart, arrogant Nick. Somehow he is just what Tess needs. She let’s go and is herself and also he sees that. He comes across as a real macho and arrogant man, who doesn’t want a real relationship. Well, he also thinks she is Vanessa, so there’s that problem, but more about that later…
The two of them have a lot of fun together and their chemistry is great. When he wants he can be a real sweetheart and romantic as well.

Paige is there as well, she is interested in Nick… When she finds out about Nick and Tess, she’s furious and is about to tell everyone to truth about Vanessa/Tess.

Tess is lovely and I loved it, how she opened up more and more with the right people. It was lovely to read about her getting to know Al at the beach and it turned out to be great for the whole job situation.

Eventually, Nick finds out about her real name and it’s just when he seems to realise that there could be more and he also knows about her situation with Charlie.

Bach at home Tess has to figure everything out. There are some great opportunituies for her job wise and also in other directions. What about Charlie, what does he feel now? What about Nick? Does he even want to talk to her anymore? Decisions have to be made and Lindsey only let’s us know in the next book of this series: What a Girl Wants, coming out July 17th. I can’t wait!!!!
Oh and I’m deffo in Team Nick 

Oh and the real Vanessa, such a b****, I didn’t like her at all. Amy, tess’ best friend was great, loved having her in the story.

This book was AWESOME!!! Catchy, gripping, hilarious and brilliantly written. A bit of an unusual storyline, but I love it!!!

My favourite Lindsey Kelk book so far!!!

Rating:

My possible cast:

Tess: Kathie McGrath
















Charlie: Ryan Reynolds  


















Nick: Jamie Dornan














Lindsey Kelk on Twitter: @LindseyKelk
Website: http://lindseykelk.com






1 comment:

  1. I've bought this book a few weeks ago and can't wait to read it now! Great review!

    ReplyDelete