Sunday 31 August 2014

The Vintage Summer Wedding - by Jenny Oliver


Original Cover
My own copy















The blurb:

A Vera Wang dress, the reception at a sophisticated London venue, and a guest list that reads like a society gossip column are all the ingredients of Anna Whitehall’s perfect wedding that never was…
Spending the summer uncovering hidden treasures in a vintage shop, Anna can still vividly remember both her childhood dreams; the first was that she’d become a Prima Ballerina, and dance on stage resplendent in a jewel-encrusted tutu. The second was that at her wedding she would walk down the aisle wearing a collective-gasp-from-the-congregation dress.
Years ago Anna pirouetted out of her cosy hometown village in a whirl of ambition…but when both of those fairy-tale dreams came crashing down around her ballet shoes, she and fiancĂ©e Seb find themselves back in Nettleton, their wedding and careers postponed indefinitely…
Don’t they say that you can never go home again? Sometimes they don’t get it right… This one summer is showing Anna that your dreams have to grow up with you. And sometimes what you think you wanted is just the opposite of what makes you happy…

My Opinion:

Well, I don’t really know how to start this review, because I wasn’t even sure about my rating. A real mix of thoughts and feelings…

I took me a while to get into this story, because the characters seemed really far away for me, especially Anna. I couldn’t find a spark there, although she’s a dancer, I’m one as well, but…
I liked Seb though, but I felt like he didn’t really come through in the story.

Back in Nettleton Anna really struggles, no really job, problems with some kids and then there is Seb and their wedding. Not much really going on in that department.

I have to say I was a little disappointed about the storyline, just because I expected something very different after reading the title and the plot. I saw a great vintage wedding, with a sweet couple and some drama.

After a while, the more pages I turned the more I enjoyed it. I have to say that towards the end it was a sweet, adorable, cute little story with a great message. Anna finally found out what counts in life: happiness or material goods.

I have to say I love the ending, or let’s say, what Seb did ;)

A cute summer story, but the last spark was unfortunately missing for me.

Rating:





My possible cast:

Anna: Olivia Wilde















Seb: Jason Sudeikis

























Jenny on Twitter: @JenOliverBooks


No comments:

Post a Comment