Friday 4 December 2015

The Twelve Words of Christmas - Snow by Jennifer Joyce


Snow

By Jennifer Joyce


I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with snow; I’ve been a self-confessed ‘snater’ (snow hater) ever since my youngest daughter’s pram got (repeatedly) stuck in the snow during the winters of 2009 and 2010 – not fun.

But when I think of Christmas, I immediately think of snow. This is perhaps because we’re inundated with images of the white fluffy stuff during the festive period; in films and TV, in the lyrics of our favourite festive songs and on our Christmas cards. And who would have it any other way? I certainly wouldn’t, despite my snaring.

Snow brings out the children in us. We want to run outside and feel the crunch of fresh snow beneath our feet. We want to build magnificent snowmen (even if the result isn’t quite what you pictured in your head as you froze your fingers off making the smallest snowman known to man – or is that just me?) and we want to launch balled up mounds of snow at our loved ones. We want to hurtle down hills in sledges and we don’t mind getting cold and soggy in a bid to make snow angels on the ground. Snow is fun. It’s exciting and magical and oh so pretty. Just as long as you’re not expecting to push a pram through it, obviously.

There is little cosier than being curled up under a blanket (perhaps with a hot chocolate) while you watch a festive, snow-covered scene on TV. It rarely actually snows at Christmas in Britain but still we cling onto the dream of a white Christmas. But if reality doesn’t live up to our expectations, we can always pop on a DVD and watch the fluttering flakes from the comfort (and warmth) of our blankets.


Jennifer Joyce is a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with her husband and their two daughters.
You can find out more about Jennifer on

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I love snow even though it may be responsible for my disability. Plus can't get out in it now. The girls are hoping for lots of it.

    ReplyDelete