Sunday 25 September 2016

Sky's Musical Corner - Musical Q&A with Katey Lovell


1.  What’s your favourite musical ever?

This is a tricky one for me as I love most musicals, but if I have to choose just one I’ll say Grease.  I first saw the film when I was nine or ten and I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess how many times I’ve watched it since!  I also love the stage show and have seen it twice – Ray Quinn was in it the first time I saw it and was a surprisingly good Danny!

2.  What comes to mind when you hear the word Musical?

A magical combination of theatre, dance and music.

3.  Have you ever seen a Musical on the West End or Broadway?

I’ve been fortunate to see a few.  Mostly I see touring productions when they come to my adopted city of Sheffield, but I’ve seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Grease, Billy Elliot, Les Miserables and All The Fun of the Fair in the West End.  I’ve also seen Chicago and Matilda on Broadway, so I’m a very lucky theatre-goer!

4.  What’s the next musical you want to see?

I’m hoping to see The Girls next year when it opens in London and can’t wait for the Take That musical!

5.  Which musicals have you seen live?

I’m bound to miss some out, but off the top of my head, besides the ones mentioned above – The Sound of Music, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Cats, Top Hat, High Society, West Side Story, The Lion King, Singing in the Rain, Let It Be, Summer Holiday...

6.  What’s your favourite song out of a musical?

Again, there are so many but I adore America from West Side Story. 

7.  Who’s your favourite Musical actress?

I’ve seen Carrie Hope Fletcher a few times and she’s brilliant, a total all-round performer who commands the stage and demands attention. 

8.  Who’s your favourite Musical actor?

It’s hard for me to pick a favourite, but Lee Mead is incredible!

9.  Best Musical movie you have ever seen?

I’ve watched so many recently as research for The Singalong Society for Singletons, but my one ultimate favourite would have to be Grease.  The humour, the songs, the costumes...I don’t think I’d ever tire of watching it.

10. Which book would you turn into a musical?

I’d love to see a tragic romance made into a musical, so maybe The Fault in our Stars?  Or Songs About a Girl by Chris Russell would be fantastic, as it’s about a fictional boyband.

11. Which Musical made/makes you cry?

I cry easily so pretty much all of them!  However, when I took my Mum to see The Sound of Music for her 70th birthday we were both sobbing into our tissues by the end.  Let’s just say it was an emotional day!

Katey on Twitter: @Katey5678



No comments:

Post a Comment